When While E. Coyote paints the tunnel on the solid rock
wall, he bends the perspective of the Road Runner to the extent that the road
runner doesn't know he shouldn't be able to run through it. The Coyote of course knows better, and is
impacted with predictable results.
It’s clear to me that perspective is maybe the greatest of
all virtues and it consistently gets the shaft.
Virtues in and of themselves, are a slippery thing; dangerously close to
morals, and a close kissing cousin to values. We all know how dangerous values
are and how often they are pirated by the media or a politician. Virtues, are
perhaps one of the more high jacked concepts in our persona. We all know the 7 Christian values….I’m not
yapping about those. I’m talking about
the virtues we don’t need to be reminded about, innate virtues. Beauty, Grace (the under pressure kind) Charm,
Wisdom, (add your own virtues here) and Perspective, which is undervalued and
under reported.
Perspective adds depth to our understanding. Without perspective we are left in a world
defined by what we see ourselves (or what we think we've seen), and what we
believe others have seen; all tinted through the lens our own limited scope of knowledge. A classic example is the “Round Earth vs.
Flat Earth” argument. Most folks find
this comical today, but for the greater part of human history we “knew” the
earth was flat. It was only relatively
recently that Pythagoras, confirmed the math, Magellan sailed round the world
without falling off, and as a final proof the space programs multitude of
measurements and photos confirms that the planet is round (technically a spheroid).
Time, science, and effort give us the perspective we need to
laugh at the Flat Earth Society like we laughed at the Y2K doomsayers’. Honestly, I think perspective is minimized by many aspects of our society, so people
believe what they are told to believe, rather than what their own personal
experiences dictate.
I was reminded of this on a recent business trip to Hobbs
NM, which is best described as west, West Texas and as an oil boom town has the
faint whiff of gas in the air. This
place is fairly isolated with Roswell, NM and all of its associated aliens, as
the closest biggest metropolitan center. As I introduced myself to the class I
was teaching I mentioned I was new to the State of New Mexico and spent the
last few years working in New Jersey.
New Mexicans are welcoming folks by nature and the class quickly derailed my opening remarks
by the barrage of questions I’m accustomed to hearing when folks find out I’m
new here. First question is almost
always “Why New Mexico” then “What do you think” and lastly usually something
about Chili, or simply put “Red or Green?” (The New Mexico State Question)
I thought I had satisfied the group with my answers, but one
gentlemen who I shall refer to as Cowboy (due to the hat, mustache, vest, and persona
that would have made Wyatt Earp jealous) said “You don’t sound like all of
those Jersey A-holes we seen on TV.” I
must have looked a bit stunned, and my first impulse was to say “No, I’m not
one of those A-Holes.” Cowboy continued, “Prove It!” “The proof is, I moved
here to New Mexico” That bought me some time, and we moved on. During the 1st break I was cornered
by folks who based a large part of their knowledge of the Northeast on what
they had seen on TV. Many had never left
this flat dusty corner of the world, nor had any intention to, so TV became
reality.
Think about that, TV as reality, a scary concept but not
that far off. We have Reality TV which
(Spoiler Alert) is about as real as Pro Wrestling, we have made for TV movies,
we have Hollywood movies on TV, (yuck more John Cusack and Sandra Bullock) we
have the history channel broadcasting “Nazis vs. Aliens” we have CSPAN, CNN, Nickelodeon
and AMC……lots of entertainment, but none are reality.
It’s a problem of perspective, or more appropriately a lack
thereof. The information age has made it easy to fire up a device and search
out info, however technology has also made it ridiculously easy to publish
faulty information (for example this Blog).
The right answer is out there, but only if I’m interested and smart enough
to sort through the muck and quagmire to find it. The other day, I had to try and explain this
to my son, who said, as he read Ripley’s
Believe it Or Not, something to the effect that it must be true since
it’s in a book. When I heard that I just
about ruptured, but when I tried to explain that you have to be critical of the
information you consume, I botched it terribly.
Explaining to a kid why one source is better than the next, when both
sources are in writing, is not so easy.
(I think the parallel would be having kids explain to you
why they can see you kiss your spouse goodbye, but when the kissing scene
happens at the end of the movie, they close their eyes and say Groooossss!)
Before I came to NM, all I knew about the State was what little I
could read on Wiki Whatever and the Series Breaking
Bad. Many of you probably base
your whole conception of Albuquerque on Breaking
Bad; because that’s all you know.
It’s like going into a library and checking out the only book on the
subject…..and in truth; Albuquerque became a big part of the cast of that
show. However, beyond the scenery and
the product placement, I think you might agree that one show cannot represent an
entire city.
I thought about this
on my 6 hour drive back from Hobbs and became slightly concerned over the perception
these folks must have had for me once they learned I worked in NJ…….Sopranos, Jersey Shore, Real House Wives,
Boardwalk Empire, Cake Boss, Bikini Barbershop, these are just a few of
the more recent shows that highlight the NJ attitude, lifestyle and perpetuate
the A-Hole persona Cowboy was concerned over. It’s as if he walked into the
library and checked out a half dozen books and all generally confirmed one
another.

Perception is reality, which is really a lesson in
understanding people and understanding yourself. How people perceive you, IS what they know, perspective is the key to understanding what
they've seen.



No comments:
Post a Comment