Travel Travesty
Today, dear world, I found myself staring down the barrel of
the hypocrisy gun. Typically guns are
best pointed away from one’s self so you can imagine my chagrin just now, as I
see the business end clearly. I trust
you; my dedicated readers, to have some pity on me and consider the facts
before issuing judgement.
I suffered, cramped in a rather small seat, on a fairly
large airplane the other day. It seems
United has once again shortened its seat pitch and left normal sized folks like
me in pain and smaller sized folk who sit near me, challenged to claim some
room for themselves. While grinding my
teeth at the attendant who would not let me switch seats, I became a bit more
sensitive the ridiculousness of the airline experience.
I think what got me fired up first was the Phrase
“pre-Board” and before I go down that rabbit hole I would like to pause and
give props to the departed George Carlin…..George said it all best. https://youtu.be/vdPy5Ikn7dw (Use
headphones, George Swears a bit)
How exactly does one pre-board an airplane? In airline parlance pre-board means that
folks with certain abilities or certain disabilities can board the aircraft
first. There are lots of words in our
language that have “pre” built right in, pre-board is not one of those words. You can’t just stick “pre” in front of
something and expect it to make sense.
Is life really just a pre-death experience? Is water pre-ice, pre-beer, or pre-pre-piss? To me pre-boarding is all of the stuff you
have to do to get to the gate. Pre-boarding procedure includes yelling at the
clueless to move up to the next ticket counter, removing your dignity at
security, paying too much to replace the water that security will not let you
bring through and lots of vodka. You can’t get on a plane, by pre-getting on a
plane.
Usually I’m in no hurry to get onto the plane. As long as the seat is assigned I’m good, and
the folks who are disabled like the infirmed or those with kids, and those that
are super abled like 1st class passengers get on the plane first,
good for them. They get to sit there an
extra 15 minutes.
On this recent flight I boarded in group 4…..and by the time
I got on the plane I found that most of first class and all of the exit isle
seats were open, free, devoid of ass. I
was pleased to see this as I crammed my frame, next to some poor schlep who did
nothing to deserve my encroachment, in the aforementioned pre-assigned midget
seat. As soon as I saw the plane doors
shut, I asked to move. Most airlines are
glad to see me relocate like this. It
makes me more comfortable and those around me happier…..not United, I was
informed that although the seats were empty, I could not relocate since it cost
an extra fee and they were unable to charge me…..
I sat there and concerned myself with pre-boarding and pre-flight
procedures and listened to the pre- crash safety lecture and learned I should
use the restroom in my own cabin to dispose of my post-coffee. It occurred to me that the coveted safety
exit isles were still empty and I became concerned that a critical component of
the aircraft's safety plan was missing.
For those of you who don’t know, the emergency exit rows are
reserved for people who can speak English and are ready and capable of opening the
door in a post-panic (emergency) situation, at the direction of the flight
attendant or captain. With the rows
empty, who will quickly perform this task?
We know it’s important because you must say “yes” each time the
attendant gravely goes over those responsibilities with you.
But here now, the rows sit empty.
No one to say yes, no one to follow the captain’s orders to save us in
those critical pre-post-life moments. In
an emergency, seconds are critical and there was no one pre-positioned to pre-prepare
for the post-crash actions and help extend the pre-death of the rest of the
passengers. Moreover, I was rebuffed when I volunteered since I couldn’t pay at
that moment; to shoulder the responsibility and pre-save the plane, I would
have had to pre-pay.
While you wrap your
head around all of that, consider the FAA makes airlines have these rows to facilitate
emergency evacuations, tests are run on full aircraft on how quickly they can
be emptied and these tests have a capable person sitting at the door ready to
open it. Airlines have been allowed to
capitalize on that extra space by shrinking the other seats and charging more
for the larger leg room. Since they allow anyone to buy it, you often see the 75-year-old
man who is too frail to have to remove his shoes or jacket in security, sitting
in the exit row, the gateway to life in a pre-airport landing (crash). So now frail old guy who pre-paid extra for
the seat says “yes” when asked if he can move a 50 pound door and make way for
the rest of the terrified pre-death souls, he has already lived his pre-death
and damn it, pre-paid for the seat…..while someone like me, who could certainly
open the door, is willing to do so, and frankly could use the leg room, can’t
because I didn’t pre-pay to pre-board and sit in the pre-airport landing pre-exit
row.
Of course, by now you are wondering what the hypocrisy was
all about. Perhaps you are new to my
Blog and have not had to wade through as much literary tripe as the rest of my
followers. For you, new and dear reader
and for those less apt to pre-forget (remember) my other blog posts, I will
draw it full circle.
Anyone who has read
my writing knows I take ample freedom with the language. My grammar, spelling and phrasing are best
described as Jimmish rather than English. I have drawn the stink eye from many
of my English teachers through the years as I argued “If Poe, Melville or Hemingway can butcher a sentence structure, why can’t I?” To which they would
counter, “But you’re not those guys, and you’re not a writer.” Well for the record, I consider myself a
pre-writer now and I take full advantage of the rights, privileges and honors
thereof. Ha!
Still though, you must admit there is a vast difference
between someone like me molding the language poorly and a huge multi-national
corporation. My invented words are
silly, theirs are used for safety briefings for thousands of people a day. If you read even some of the signs in an
airport "Rainman" style, and go for
the literal meaning, you will be walking in circle for hours.
While I will not be
flying United again, and I encourage you to refrain as well, I would also like
you to think about how our countries willingness to allow corporations to drive
away common sense is really hurting us all.
Not only are they making me cranky and those around be uncomfortable,
but they have corrupted your safety by allowing less than able bodies in the
exit row in the name of profit. Really
if your too old to be a NSA security threat, your too old to be an asset in a pre-airport
landing. The ax of capability swings
both ways. Moreover, just think of the
damage these corporations are doing to our youth by broadcasting bad language and
inventing meaningless words; travesty upon travesty.
No comments:
Post a Comment