“ Well, I guess he thinks his time is more valuable than mine.”
I heard it as I pushed my cart through a bottle neck caused
by a shopper in Costco adjudicating the free taste tests trying to determine
which she should try…..while her cart blocked all from passing. Her tone
dripped with venom and she hissed it under her breath, but loud enough for me
and a select few to hear. Of course I didn’t
just plow into the crowd, I was polite and using the voice of power said “Excuse
me.” and when that didn’t work, slightly louder “Please push your cart to the
side so others can pass.” This is when she complied, but just the same, could not help but strike back as I walked by.
When is something of yours less valuable to you than something belonging to someone else? You would certainly prefer another’s roof to leak rather than your own, and I’m sure you value your own life more than that of a random stranger.
News Flash! My life is finite, so is yours. We place a value on life because it is finite
and that value can be measured in time.
We can use accomplishments and dollars and family and vacation to
measure life value as well but I think you will find that those things are also
dependent on time. Our time has value, my
time has value to me and by default things of value that I have are worth more
to me than things of value that you have.
We all defend what is ours.
So I submit that regardless of the calculated dollar value
of my finite time on this planet, every minute waiting for someone to choose
which sausage sample to eat, is a waste of my time. Waste is the wrong term, it implies I had the
time and chose to give it away poorly.
That does happen, but in this case my time, my valuable time, was stolen
by another.
We all know you can’t
retrieve a moment lost, and I choose to take action, and reduce my future
losses by asking the lady to move.
I think the congested masses didn’t say anything because they
were trying to be polite.
Polite! That is ridiculous.
How is it polite to allow a selfish individual who has already stolen
moments, to continue to steal more moments from hapless shoppers? Why is it polite to allow the dumbness to
continue, at the expense of all, so one sausage snacker can contemplate the
difference between maple flavor and traditional? In fact by not doing anything themselves,
they have become accomplices.
I have lost my moment; others did as well, gone from our
lives. We can’t reclaim it. What we can
do is modify our approach to limit the Thieving Moment Collective by applying a
bit of consideration.
Those of you with
drive and purpose, it is your duty to step up in these situations and attempt
to take corrective action, ask people to move, correct the dumbness as a
gesture to the future. Those of you with less focus please have regard for others
as you peruse the pork products. Kindly pull
your cart to the side, make way for those of us who are moving with a
purpose. Walk in the direction that your
head is turned. If you like to see the items on the left, please move left to
see them, rather than swerving down the center of the isle. Be considerate and open your purse before the
total is delivered and don’t organize the mini wallet while we all wait in line…these
few tips are time savers, and depending who is behind you, life savers.
No comments:
Post a Comment