I Discovered the San Juan
The Delaware River Owns My Soul, The San Juan Is Where You'll Find My Ass
One of the under reported joys of consulting is travel. I travel to locations that are rarely on even
the longest list of exotic locations, but I travel none the less. In my field, I travel to places where people
have been impacted by natural disasters, and do what I can to help them recover
and plan for the next event. People, believe me, there is always a next
event. It’s not a bad gig and I have
been to 38 of the 50 states and I get a good taste of the local culture. I have learned to appreciate Shrimp and Grits
in Orangeville TX, enjoyed beer with salt and olives in Fargo North Dakota, and
I found poutine made with fresh cheese curds in Madison to be worth the pain
induced by my lactose intolerance.
Sometimes, I get lucky.
I did some work in Aztec New Mexico, which is a fine
community not far from the Four Corners Region.
If you are really super curious about what I do, you can pop some
popcorn and watch the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mksx0YBoz40
Yes that’s me, in Aztec, NM.
Like many communities, Aztec has had some flooding issues;
unlike many communities, Aztec is just a New Mexico stone’s throw from the San
Juan River. The River which I discovered on client visit, in all fairness the
San Juan was discovered by someone else several thousand years ago, re
discovered and renamed by someone else entirely several hundred years ago. (Our
aboriginal Americans were not big on Roman Catholic Saints) The river runs from
Colorado, is dammed a few times, joins the now tainted Animas River and then
flows west. None-the-less, I discovered
the river for myself in the summer of 2016.
Some coworkers also discovered this river with me, and
deserve due credit, but will not find it here.
I discovered the river.
We had visited clients in the morning and found time to fish
in the afternoon before taking the beautiful drive back to Albuquerque. After a Blake’s green Chile cheeseburger
(GCC) and the necessary prerequisite stop at the Local Fly Store, we found a
place to park and prepare. Unaware of
what was ahead of us, my companions and I dressed in waders and gear in the
parking lot. We shared a few sips from a
bottle as we tried to figure out the advice the fly shop proprietor gave
us. “How the hell do you tie two flies
to the same leader?” Was the general frame of the conversation with more colorful
language thrown in, as you might expect from grown men in plastic pants.
Eventually decisions were made and we worked our way to the river
trail. The canyon walls on our left and right dropped straight down and formed
a small dry meadow. The river was masked by tall reeds and some small
cottonwoods, maintained by the beavers.
In the span of a few hundred yards there were 3 distinct biomes. When we
could see the water we were impressed by its size and quality. The water clarity was so good you were fooled,
water that looked ankle deep was knee deep, and we soon learned all of it held
fish.
Promptly my back-cast caught the collar of my shirt. A gust
of wind, timed perfectly, finished the job by tangling the now slack line
around me and my equipment. There I
stood, mid-stream wrapped in fluorocarbon and hooked. I spastically fumbled with my gear, clipped
and retied the tippet, and generally floundered about. Flustered and slightly
embarrassed, I became aware that there was a trout, a large trout, comfortably
holding court in the wake my legs made in the current. I slowed the pace of my spasms
hoping the submarine trout would stick around long enough to see what I had to
offer. After all, this was no place for a trout of that size, it was broad
daylight and I was by no means stealthy, he should be 4 miles from me, scared
hiding.
I stood and watched
the fish for some time, moving my feet just enough to keep the gravy train
rolling for my aquatic friends. Simply
amazing to watch these fish, David Attenborough began a narration between my
ears and I forgot for a while I was there to catch these beasts. Reality set in and I realized I had an
excellent laboratory at my feet. I could
drift fly after fly in font of these fish and see the fish react. I didn’t even
have to cast, and moreover even if the fish didn’t strike it was an awesome
thing to watch.
I grew up casting for trout on a small stream, worms,
minnows, and eggs as bait. I size 10
hook was as small as I was accustomed to.
When the guys at the fly shop handed me specks of dust in size 24 and
smaller I was incredulous but bought them just the same. To be safe I also bought some flies I could
see, in case the local experts were jerking me around. When I faced this fleet of submarines I could
not believe that such a large fish would be interested in a fly I could barely
see. I drifted San Juan worms,
Parachutes and even Wooly buggers at the fish and slowly worked my way to the
smaller flies. Eventually I reluctantly tied
on the dust specks and hit pay dirt. (I
don’t remember the official name of the fly that worked, I called it cricket
poop.) Sometimes it pays to actually listen to the old guys at the fly shop.
I showed my fishing companions the fly I used and gave them
the spot in the stream.
I left
satisfied. The river now calls me. I have since learned the fish I caught are
not remarkable by San Juan standards. I know all days on the river aren’t this
perfect, I know that eventually casting technique and experience will need to
be honed. But for now, memories of the 2
San Juan Rainbow trout I caught that day, in perfect conditions, under a
beautiful sky, is all I need.
No comments:
Post a Comment