Total Pageviews

Friday, February 28, 2014

Science Fair Fail

!!Science!!

It forms the basis of understanding of what we are, our place in this world, and our worlds place in the cosmos.  Science didn't create us, but rather is a function of our need to know and understand the complex by seeking the evermore basic.  Science is a process, its alive, it evolves, science creates ideas while destroying myths and superstition.  With Science “wrong” does not mean eternal damnation but rather a new beginning, a new theory.  ”Wrong” is the start of the next great question and path of exploration. I love science. I love how science allows me to answer truthfully when my son asks “Dad, Why is that mountain there?” Or “How do squids change their color?” I love how science fixes my broken kids, keeps me alive in car crashes and allows me to talk into a cell phone. I was a “Science Olympiad in school, have a scientific degree and work in a science driven industry. The point is  I Love Freaking Science! https://www.facebook.com/IFeakingLoveScience

But there is a dark side, and no I’m not referring to the passing of the Darwin day or the ill-advised, Bill Nye debate. I’m referring to the blackest mar on our children’s education today, well maybe the second if you count “new” math……Science Fairs!

Ok, I’m married to a teacher, so I get all of the stuff that teachers are mandated to do.  I see the muck and know that with only so many hours in the day, and with core curriculum needs, and fully integrated classes, something has to slip. Often science is that slip. I understand that it in grade school math and reading are really important since those skills form the basis for all future education.  Focus here, if a kid needs to know 4 distinct methods of doing long division, and none of them are “type equation into Google”, or “reach for calculator”, then skipping science might be justified.

Maybe we should just skip the half assed science until some real attention can be paid to it, for example in place of the woeful phys-ed class in High School.  This makes sense to me, so believe it must make sense to others.  However, once upon a time, someone somewhere, said science is important in our grade schools….and since we don’t have time to teach it we can cram it into 3 hours of instruction and then pass the buck to the parents…. hail marry into the end zone and duck cover . Teachers, I know it’s not you making this decision, please call off the mob hit.

Enter the grade school science fair project. Six weeks of fighting with your kids to “get an idea” followed 1 frantic day of poster board glue stick mayhem.

My guess is the idea is to get kids excited about science….but this is really a bit absurd. Has a homework assignment ever been exciting?  Do these educators know how kids think?  Kids feed off of their parents. Unless you are the previously mentioned Mr. Nye, the idea of a science fair project does not excite you, and therefor will not excite the kids.  Maybe  exciting means “ gnashing of teeth and parental frustration” in educator speak.

Well it’s over now, everyone got their “participation award”  for more on those click here: http://jim-afisheyeview.blogspot.com/2011/04/flounder-and-chameleon.html and I feel better and I wonder how many other parents are out there who feel the same way….relief.  The good news is I don’t think the science projects are doing much harm, though I will continuously question their value.  


Sidebar: I reserve the right to question that other stalwart of higher education; The history term paper.  Which in my experience did way more harm than good…..As a college bound senior having a semester to write 10 pages, with a huge emphasis placed on the “notebook” was not at all a realistic preparation  for the shock received as a freshman science major…..

I find it a frustrating irony that as I guide my children through their educations, I'm forced to play along with institutions that are fairly universally despised, and have dubious levels of documented success. Children, Parents, and Teachers alike hate homework.  Kids who have been bound in school all day need the time to unwind and play. Remember play? That ancient and intuitive learning tool? Evolution Even! Yes, kids need it, they need the exercise, the imagination and the varied stimulation, they need Lego Time!  I think we all know this, which is why it’s so hard for me to call them inside to do their homework, or force spelling memorization, or get excited about a science fair….pretty sure this doesn't make me a bad parent.
 
Just for fun, and to reward my intrepid readers,  
please enjoy Oingo Boingo


No comments:

Post a Comment