In my eyes, the problems we face in this world stem from our animal selves having trouble adapting to our modern world. We have a repressed innate need to breed, control resources, and be the top dog. As humans we find ourselves in a unique position, the greatest challenges we face as a species (war, climate change acceleration, religion, Teflon plumbers tape, science fair projects, overly tight underwear, etc.) are all functions of our human brain advancing technology and culture faster than our repressed instincts can catch up. Turns out our brain stem is in remedial social studies, while our frontal lobes are sailing through advanced mechanical engineering.
This weekend an event occurred that reminded me how
combative the internal struggle is between our modern brains and our basic
needs. No I’m not referring our societies
ridiculous double standard of elevating Victoria’s Secret Angel while shaming
pictures of breast feeding mothers…..although I should be. Everyone loves a boob.
Digression Aside, I’m referring too: Dun
Dun Dahhhhh!!!! Daylight Savings Time (DLST)
!! Gasp !!
!! Gasp !!
Here in New Mexico, I cherish DLST. It allows me time to enjoy the sun, and get
some yard work done after a day in the office.
Also, it keeps the sun from poking its head into my bedroom window until
a more respectable hour. I thought about
this on Saturday while dusk fell around 6PM. “Tomorrow”, I thought,” “More daylight
to spend, allowing more work, all to the better.”
Sunday came and I spent the early morning with a pot of
coffee, the newspaper and the internet, bulking up on my current events and the
lives I’m connected to on the Big Book of Faces. At the
time I read a few of the set pieces lamenting the lost economic potential
caused by DLST, the loss of sleep, the mental trauma caused by a shift in our
circadian rhythm. I found it comical, “Who doesn’t want more sun in the evening?” was my thought…… “So why is this one change
receive such critical press?” I set about putting the mental notes together for
my next blog piece. My plan was to make
the point that we face countless changes to our circadian rhythms….we travel, we
have kids, we wake by the clock rather than the crow of the rooster. Dawn is not a fixed time, it changes….and on
and on. If you read my blog, you know
how I rant.
Then I went to work…..
We had such success last year in the garden, and my thirst
for fresh home grown tomatoes is so strong, I agreed to redesign our family garden. This involved a
new wall, and moving vast amounts or rock, earth and brick. Sunday was
irrigation installation day. It is not easy to
maneuver my frame into the contortions required to get the irrigation in the
hole….but I did it, and then shoveled dirt. By the end of my fist DLST extended
day I could barely lift my arms.
Showered, Advil’d, and ate dinner and waited in my chair for sleep to
come…then moved to the bed for sleep to come, and waited some more. I recall checking the time at 2am which is
about an hour after my usual bedtime, and the specter of DLST first announced
itself…..was I awake after spending a full day working due to the clock
shift? Then as if in response to my last
conscious thought, the alarm rang……the clock read 6:10 but if asked my body would tell you it was far
earlier. My fears were confirmed. DLST stole an hour from me……
Truth be told waking up hurt…my body hated me, and my mind
was a bit dis-joined, but I have survived worse as a father. You have survived worse too. I remain convinced that the purported
economic impact of DLST is an economists dissertation thesis inflated by the
media to bombastic proportions.
| Can't Believe I found this....wonder if its real or a joke. |
See, the
very abilities that allow our minds to be in conflict between our basic needs
and our evolving culture, our ability to adapt as only humans can, allows us to overcome this subtle change in our clocks. Our circadian rhythm, which is bastardized by
clocks and schedules year round, will adjust….life will go on.
Typically, I’m the first to recognize that our most basic
and unplugged experiences in life, are the best. Food for the soul and the brain stem. These enjoyments don’t all need to be purely
animal, but they shouldn’t stray far from that realm. In fact I like to mix the modern and the
basic....a fine spirit and a sun set….not to shabby. But we also need to make exceptions for a bit
more of our modern world and recognize that the good in DLST far outweighs the
pain of a missed hour of sleep. Get over it or move to Arizona!
To wit, I don’t feel the need to move to Arizona.
No comments:
Post a Comment