"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" (John Lennon)
On the Cusp of 40
I think some of this weight of the big 40 is based our need
to compare ourselves to others. We ask
ourselves “Have I done enough?” “Am I rich Enough?” “Is my car bigger than that
guys?” Stuff like that, and depending on how we feel that day, or how much
coffee we have had, the answers can be uplifting or devastating….it’s a crap
shoot.
Since my path is all I know, it is frankly impossible for me
to compare mine to yours, or for you to compare yours to anyone else. Really
what does one gain from that comparison?
I can tell you that I have few regrets. Things that at the
time were huge traumas look small in the rear view and opportunities missed
were never really mine in the first place.
My hope is you all can say the same thing.
I don’t have a deity to thank for this, I don’t consider my
life a blessing. People. People are what
make life what it is and the weight of those folks rivals the power of the DNA
in our veins. My parents gave me the
genetics, and basic skills to survive in the world and to a larger extent,
survive the manifestations of those genetics. In effect they started the trip
for me. Along the path I have found
people. Some of those people have
traveled with me, helped and choose the next turn, others have remained
stationary and warped the path by the shear mass of their gravity. A few have cleared paths, and still fewer
have tried to block the path. But those
people all, have had an influence.
Chances are if you are reading this, you have been one of those people,
and I would like to thank you.
I have learned a few things along the way. I think those lessons are worth sharing: but
I also believe I’m speaking to experts, you each, alone, are the experts of
your life.
I refuse to believe in fate.
As a student of history and nature, the idea of fate can be a cruel
realization. Our world, can be harsh, taxing, and murderous place. Some would
philosophize that we survive in a hostile environment and that all beauty in
life is based on that survival.
| Terminator Removed her Fate |
Moltke said: “No plan of operations extends with any
certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force”
While I don’t necessary agree that the planet is a hostile
place; I like to maintain that this axiom, posed by a military commander, holds
the key to why I think the idea of fate is bunk and why all life plans are
doomed to fail. We can plan all we like,
but it’s our environment that has the power to sculpt the path. We can only
dictate a finite portion, and react to realities as they occur.
Moltke had it right, even if you don’t assume that your
environment is a hostile force, no life plan can go perfectly, unless your in a
vacuum, and then what kind of life would that be. The forces of change are
already there subtly altering your path, to be understood, only if you take the
time to recognize.
No comments:
Post a Comment