Total Pageviews

Monday, December 13, 2010

Parental Upgrades, Lego Style

The other day my son asked me for help building a castle with Lego’s, not to be over shadowed, his younger brother said “me too, Daddy.”  Sitting on the floor I realized a couple of things, no way could I build two castles, no way would they share one, and to make anything I would have to dump the 35 gallon bin of Lego’s.  Dumping the Lego’s is a commitment, once dumped you are all in and will eventually have to pick them all up. 

6 hours later, the kids are in bed, and I have my castle.  Keep with trap door, working draw bridge, armory….King Author would be proud.  Prior to bedtime, my older son showed me his castle; it was simple but well defended.  Security cameras, missile systems, flying attack cars, the works.  I realized that in my son’s eyes my castle was lame because I failed to add any missiles, guns, or flying cars, King Author be damned.  I contemplated having a discussion about historical accuracy with him….and quickly gave it up and began adding “cool” weapons technology to my castle.

In the morning the kids attacked the castle, and loved it.  I got hi marks for the “coolness.” I’m sure by the time I get home it will be even cooler with every weapon in the Lego box stuck to it.

As a parent you are out dated from the moment your kids understand media.  We try to stay current, cell phone, IM, Facebook, cunzo pets, pokemon, bakugon….but it is impossible.  We are destine to lose cool as time goes on.  They still need us for money, food, and the like but eventually we will stop getting the cool add-ons and become the Lego castle. Then we have to ask them how to work something. I think this is why parents relish the idea of grandchildren, because for awhile, you are cool again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment